Detroit, MI, 48215
Joined on July, 2015
Any day after 11AM
Up to 15 minutes away for no additional charge
Up to 30 minutes away for a flat fee
Up to 30 minutes away for a flat fee
EducationI attended Michigan State University and graduated from Wayne State University. I am TEFL Certified and Experienced. Below is a summary of my education:
May 2010 Wayne State University Detroit, MI B.A. Asian Studies- Cum Laude
Sep 2010 -June 2011 Huazhong University of Science and Technology Wuhan, China Confucius Scholarship/Chinese Language Study
May 2013 ITTO-online 140 hours
TEFL Certification with Distinction (97% Average)
October 2013 ITTO-online 25 hours
Teaching Business English (96% Average)
November 2013 ITTO-online 25 hours
ExperienceI've been teaching in China for over 4 years. I currently teach Reading and Writing as well as Listening and Speaking at Hefei Number 1 high school in Hefei, Anhui, China. I am home for the summer, so I am able to tutor while I am here. I can tutor Beginner's Chinese, but not intermediate or advanced. Below is a summary of my experience:
January 2015- present Ameson Educational Group Hefei, China
International Teacher Supervisor
- Appointed by the principal of Hefei Number 1 High School’s Experimental American High School Exchange Program to be the teaching supervisor of international teachers based on my performance, language ability, previous experience, staff relations, and student feedback.
- Arranged weekly meetings with the international teachers and relayed important information from the principal.
- Monitored staff attendance and approved time off when necessary.
- Trained and observed classes from new international teachers and gave feedback on how to maximize their teaching potential.
- Supported incoming teachers with work-related issues, living arrangements, and issues related to culture shock.
- Represented international teachers at town hall meetings and presented bilingually to parents in an effort to resolve conflicts and update them on the differences in education between China and the United States.
- Co-coordinated English lessons in the evenings for doctors affiliated with the Number 2 Anhui Medical University (AHMU). Classes focused mostly on oral English and topics included common social norms, cultural differences between China and the United States, and English medical language.
August 2014- January 2015 Ameson Educational Group Hefei, China
Comprehensive English Teacher
- Taught Reading and Writing as well as Listening and Speaking to one hundred ten Senior 1 and twenty-four Senior 2 students in Hefei Number 1 High School’s Experimental American High School Exchange Program using both personally created lessons and the MOSAIC and INTERACTIONS textbooks published by McGraw-Hill.
- Facilitated extracurricular activities such as Music Club, which allowed students to explore music from the USA and the UK and take part in activities related to music such as singing, pronunciation practice, running dictations, and listening exercises.
- Managed and coordinated the online Scholastic Reading Assessment (SRA) Program by McGraw-Hill (www.connected.mcgraw-hill.com) for the Senior 1 students and assigned readings based on each student’s reading level according to the website.
- Delivered bilingual presentations to parents and students for Parent-Teacher Conferences.
- Wrote and issued letters of recommendation for students entering universities or special programs in the United States of America such as Duke University’s Summer Academy and the University of Rochester’s Summer Program.
- Achieved an average student rating of 97.9/100 from Senior 2 students and 99.2/100 from Senior 1 students, the highest amongst all international teachers.
February 2014-August 2014 METEN English Wuhan, China
International Teacher Group Leader
- Functioned as the Teaching Supervisor when leadership was not present. Duties included administrative tasks and class scheduling, conducting team meetings and participating in regional meetings, communicating interdepartmentally and with leadership, facilitating trainings, enforcing discipline, and representing the organization outside of the center.
- Conducted regular meetings with the international teachers and addressed and solved then-current and potential difficulties in the organization.
- Assessed and analyzed the international teachers’ strengths and areas in need of improvement and, as a “transformational” leader, gave feedback as to how they can become more well-rounded as teachers and employees of the organization.
- Trained both foreign and Chinese teachers in “Giving Instructions” and “Setting up Activities”.
- Created and implemented new organization-wide programs such as “METEN English Police”, a program which enabled students to police the center and enforce the “English Only” policy and “Wednesday Afternoon Matinee” and “Sunday Night Rendezvous”, large classes held at the center’s coffee bar to ensure that: students could get to know the teachers better and were learning in both the classroom and open environments, prospective students could see that students had close access to their teachers, and that all areas of the center were being utilized efficiently and effectively to promote a healthy and interactive learning environment.
- Observed classes taught by both foreign teachers and Chinese teachers and gave appropriate feedback in an effort to improve and standardize teaching quality.
September 2011-February 2014 METEN English Wuhan, China
Senior ESL Teacher
- Instructed college and high school students, housewives, and professionals in private, activity, and specialized courses based on personally designed classes and METEN’s textbooks using the task-based, communicative, and audio-lingual methods.
- Coordinated with other staff members to plan activities and programs for students outside of the classroom setting, such as Speed Dating, Perfect Speaker Contest, and Music and Movie clubs.
- Designed two special weekly courses: In “Sing with Ebon”, I taught students English songs while enhancing their vocabulary, listening skills, and pronunciation. In “Advanced Accuracy Training”, I taught advanced-level students how to use phrases and clauses correctly using the task-based and communicative methods.
- Trained middle and high school teachers in Wuhan, China in METEN English’s experiential teaching style by designing classes which are both educational and entertaining.
- Created a teaching blog and a talk group which provides students with a variety of exercises/topics in an effort to give students extra study material outside of the classroom. ebonphlo.tumblr.com
- Selected by METEN to be featured in Wuhan TV’s “Wuhan Express” segment due to my popularity and teaching style at METEN. (http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTY2MDczNzI0.html )
- Developed and implemented training materials for incoming Foreign Teachers with regards to activity set-up, planning, and implementation.
- Organized and planned a METEN-wide English singing contest mostly based on songs taught in my “Sing with Ebon” selective course. The competition will happen in May, 2014.
- Streamlined information and contributed to the Intermediate-level Student Standardization Program by using prior teaching knowledge and networking with the Study Advisors to provide prospective students both a detailed and approximate account of what they should know before entering the intermediate level, what they will know while they are studying in the level, and what they should know upon preparation to upgrade to the post-intermediate level.
October 2011-June 2012 Wuchang University of Technology Wuhan, China
Full-time English Teacher
- Designed oral English classes, syllabi, and lesson plans and taught full-time to Chinese college students in a classroom of approximately 30 students.
- Facilitated discussions in the English language in non-classroom settings, such as English Corner.
- Held consistent office hours for the students so that they could come to me for help, additional learning, and fun activities.
- Programmed activities in the school’s English Salon, such as speech competitions and music and movie nights.
May 2011- February 2012 New Channel International Education Group Wuhan, China
Part-time English Teacher
- Taught English to middle school and college-aged children in a small class environment.
- Formulated lesson plans based on topics given by the company.
- Organized fun activities in class for the children in order to pique their interest in learning English.
- Participated in company functions in an effort to recruit new students and promote the quality of the organization.
I have many hobbies!
- Music (almost all genres)
- Sports (baseball, basketball, tennis)
- Nature/Outdoor life
- Board Games
- Meeting new people/Hanging out with friends
- Crime and nature shows
- Fitness/healthy living
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.